12.02.2011

Radiators

I know, I know, I need to take pictures. I need a few days! We have been unpacking, working, and dealing with our latest old house problem: the lack of heat in P's apartment.

Thankfully, the issue is a tiny electrical problem that is "fixed" right now and should be really fixed today or tomorrow. After the heating man identified the issue, he asked me if I knew how to maintain the system. I shrugged him, off saying that my husband would figure it out.

This morning, I decided that was a decidedly un-feminist thing to say, so I started reading up on my single pipe steam heat system. It seems like if the system is properly maintained, it is a very efficient way to heat a house. You do not have separate zones, but the radiators stay warm for a while, heating the room after the furnace has turned off. Also, many people prefer steam heat to the dry heat of forced air.

That said, it seems like there is a lot to learn. I am willing to bet that the previous owner did not perform any routine maintenance so I am sure the system needs a bit of a tune-up. The first thing we need is a new air vent. One of P's radiators is missing one and blasted some rusty water against his office wall last night. At least the heat came on, right?

~E

2 comments:

  1. Did the previous owner perform anything on the house? Doesn't seem like it. :( Also tell P to get his butt in here and start writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right? He is a terrible blog partner! But Farg, it is looking so nice. Come back and play!

    ReplyDelete