12.16.2011

Upstairs Bathroom

Remember that beautiful wallpaper? Here it is in all its peeling glory. Note the shower rod attached to the window frame. It was very uneven, creating a pie-shaped showering space.

That problem was easily fixed. We installed the rod above the window and bought an extra-long shower curtain. The curtain took forever to arrive so showering was pretty tricky for a bit.

But the wallpaper... I spent days and days working to remove it without making any progress. I tried DIFF, scraping, vinegar, and that Paper Tiger. The flowered paper peeled off fairly easily only to reveal a second layer in a lovely shade of peach.


Eventually, K sanded away the visible glue and gave the bathroom several coats of soft gloss paint. I was skeptical at first but it really turned out well. None of the walls at Makeoverhill are very smooth anyway. Also, when they took the piece of wall out in the kitchen after the pipe incident we noticed that they had full-on painted over wallpaper a few paint layers down.

Click below to a peak at the finished product. It was difficult to photograph such a tiny space. I think I could have gotten an excellent angle if I removed the bathroom door, but I didn't feel like going to the trouble.








Not bad, right? Today, I noticed that the medicine cabinet knobs are comically uneven. It is proving to be another Makeoverhill trend. I might write a whole post about it so you can see our uneven wall sconces and P's sloping chair rail.

~E


No comments:

Post a Comment